The Angel Oak Story (Used Book)


Primary Author: 

Miller, Ruth M.,Lennon, Linda V.



Binding Type: 



Very Good
About This Copy

Signed Copy?: 





SKU: 143110

Publication Date: 


Other Authors: 

Miller, Ruth M.; Lennon, Linda V.

Book Description: 

Angel Oak is estimated to be more than 400 years old. The story of the live oak begins with the "purchase" of Johns Island from the Cussoe Indians by a representative of Sir Anthony Ashley Cooper in 1675. The land upon which the tree grows was then granted to Abraham Waight in 1717. The oak garnered its name when descendant Martha Waight married Justus Angel. This same family maintained ownership of the property for 242 years. Today, the Angel Oak is owned by the City of Charleston. Authors Ruth M. Miller and Linda Lennon describe life on Johns Island through 300 years and the special place the tree has held in the hearts of Lowcountry residents. A foreword was provided by Becky Woods, communications manager for the Lowcountry Land Trust.


The History Press
On Hand: 1
Price: $10.00

Hours & Directions | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Help

Copperfield's Books | 8220 Louetta Rd, Suite 106, Spring, TX 77379

Phone: 832.761.5559

Copyright ¬©Copperfield's Books

If you need assistance with this website, please contact us.


Follow us for updates on inventory & events:

Zircon - This is a contributing Drupal Theme
Design by WeebPal.